If you’re searching for the best bed-in-a-box mattress, there is a high chance you’ve come across Casper and Bear mattress a lot. These two mattresses are popular and have a good reputation. This is regardless of them being in the industry for less than 10 years. Read this Bear Mattress VS Casper comparison to find the differences between them.
Bear and Casper are American mattress brands. Bear Mattress was incepted in 2015, while Casper in 2014. So, Casper is a year older than Bear. Apart from this, both of their flagship mattresses, Bear and Casper Original or simply Casper mattress, are made of memory foam. Because of this, many people confuse these two mattresses and find it hard to choose one over the other.
Comparison Chart: Bear Mattress VS Casper Mattress
|Materials||gel-infused graphite memory foam and polyfoam||polyfoam, memory foam, blended latex, cotton blend, 100% polyester, polyester blend, knit fabric, wool, polyester, HD polyfoam, pocketed coils, transitional polyfoam, and gel-infused transitional HR polyfoam.|
|Durability||6-7 years||at least 7 years|
|Trial period||30 nights||100 nights|
|Off-gassing||at least 48 hours||at least 48 hours|
|Warranty||10-year limited warranty||10-year non-prorated warranty|
- 1 Comparison Chart: Bear Mattress VS Casper Mattress
- 2 Bear Mattress VS Casper Features Comparison
- 3 Who should buy Bear Mattress?
- 4 Who shouldn’t buy Bear Mattresses?
- 5 Who should buy Casper Mattress?
- 6 Who shouldn’t buy Casper Mattresses?
- 7 Pros of Bear Mattress
- 8 Cons of Bear Mattresses
- 9 Pros of Casper Mattress
- 10 Cons of Casper Mattresses
- 11 Which is better? Bear Mattress or Casper Mattress?
- 12 FAQ
Bear Mattress VS Casper Features Comparison
With this Bear Mattress VS Casper comparison review, we’ve simplified your work so that you can easily choose the best mattress. We have compared their features, construction, pros, and cons. Without much ado, here is a full comparison review of the Bear Mattress and Casper Original Mattress.
Bear – the Bear mattress is sturdily made with three main layers. These are the comfort layer, support layer, and base layer. First and foremost, the bed has a cover that is made of celliant fabric. It is followed by a comfort layer, which comprises gel-infused graphite memory foam and polyfoam. The support layer also comes with transitional poly foam, while the base layer is made of a high-density foam base. In total, they make up 10-inches in thickness.
Casper – the Original Casper mattress also features three layers. The outer cover of the Casper mattress is made of a soft polyester cover. It is followed by a comfort layer that is made of memory foam and polyfoam. In the support layer, the mattress has a 7-inch support core of high-density polyfoam, which also acts as the base layer.
From the construction point of view, it is clear that Bear has memory foam on top, while Casper has memory foam in the middle. That’s why they are different, as Bear has a classic memory feel and Casper a balanced or neutral feel.
Apart from Bear mattress, the brand also offers Bear Hybrid. On the other hand, Casper offers Casper Original and the other 4 Casper collections. These include Casper Mattress Hybrid, Casper Wave, Casper Wave Hybrid, and Casper Essential Mattress.
In terms of strength, we cannot conclude which mattress is more durable than the other. This is because both of them have been in the industry for less than 8 years. Our final judgment was based on the materials, construction, and users/owners’ view.
The Bear mattress is well made with thick foam and a quality cover. As a result, it will last for 6 to 7 years, which is the average lifespan of memory foam mattresses. After this period, users should be ready to acquire another mattress.
The Casper mattress also has the same layers but different memory foam layer thickness. As a result, it is slightly durable when compared to Bear Mattress. Therefore, users should expect it to last for at least 7 years. Also, Casper’s edges are more robust and won’t sink faster than that of Bear Mattress.
In this category, Casper has the edge over Bear, which explains Casper’s slightly higher price over Bear.
The firmness of a mattress is crucial as it decides how comfortable you will be. Lightweight sleepers are best suited with a soft bed, average weight sleepers with medium-firm mattresses, and heavyweight sleepers with firm mattresses.
In this case, both Bear and Casper mattresses feature a medium-firm feel. Bear has a medium-firm of 5.5, while Casper 5 on the firmness scale of 1 to 10. Depending on your weight, you will find that the Bear mattress cradles you more than the Casper mattress. Thanks to the top memory foam layer. On the contrary, the Casper mattress is slightly firmer as it has memory foam in its middle layers instead of the top layers.
To sleep comfortably, picking the right mattress for your body weight and sleeping style is vital. The firmness of the mattress plays a big part in that.
Memory foam mattresses usually exhibit excellent motion isolation properties. Bear mattress and Casper mattress have memory foam in their structure. As a result, they limit movement and don’t transfer motion at all. Therefore, if you sleep with your partner, you won’t be disturbed by their action at night.
The comfort layers in both Bear and Casper mattresses respond slowly, enabling the foam to absorb motion and prevent it from spreading to other parts of the mattress. This is not the same case with innerspring or hybrid mattresses.
So, if you sleep with a person who moves a lot in bed, both Bear and Casper mattresses will do the trick.
A good mattress should offer pressure relief to the sleeper. However, not all mattresses do provide pressure relief. Since Bear and Casper mattresses have a medium firmness, they serve lightweight and average sleepers better than heavyweight sleepers. People who weigh 230 pounds or less will have an easy time on both mattresses, while those who weigh 230 pounds or more will be uncomfortable.
Lightweight and average weight sleepers will have pressure relief around their hips, shoulders, and other sensitive parts of the body. In contrast, heavyweight sleepers will experience added pressure around their shoulders and hips. This means heavyweight sleepers should consider getting a firmer mattress that offers pressure relief.
People love sitting on the edge of their mattress before taking off shoes, sleeping, and even when they wake up. So, it’s vital to have a supportive edge so that you don’t sink one section of the mattress.
Typically, memory foam mattresses don’t have strong edge support because their base layers are not durable. Innerspring and hybrid mattresses have a secure perimeter because the coil layer offers strength, and that’s why they don’t sink.
Bear and Casper mattresses have weak edge support that sinks with a lot of ease. So, if you continuously sit or sleep on the edge of the bed, it will deteriorate quickly. However, Bear has a weaker perimeter than Casper. This is because its base layers do not offer excellent support. On the other hand, the Casper mattress comes with a thicker than average support core. Hence, its perimeter will provide better support.
A common problem with memory foam mattresses is that they tend to sleep hot. If you want a bed that sleeps hot, you should consider getting an innerspring or memory foam mattress. Both Bear and Casper Original are all-foam mattresses. This means that they will trap considerable heat in their structure, which will cause the mattress owner to sleep cool.
Nevertheless, these two mattresses are slightly better when it comes to controlling temperature than other memory foam mattresses. Starting with the Bear mattress, it has excellent temperature neutrality as it doesn’t conform to your body closely. So, they are slightly cooler than most memory foam mattresses. On the same note, Casper mattress also offers good temperature neutrality. This is thanks to the breathability top comfort layer. As a result, it will not sleep hot but cool.
In this case, both the Bear and Casper have good temperature neutrality, which means that you will sleep cooler than most memory foam mattresses. However, they are not close to innerspring and hybrid mattresses that sleep cool.
Do you have a partner and want a bed that will allow you to have fun? Consider acquiring an innerspring or hybrid bed with coils in its structure. Such beds are bouncy and will enable you to have fun in bed. Back to our comparison, Bear and Casper mattresses have memory foam, which is not responsive or bouncy. This means that you will not be able to change styles during sex or move in bed freely. This is because memory foam mattress has a poor response.
Both Bear and Casper have small springiness, which means they will respond to some extent. However, memory foam mattresses have an advantage also. They conform deeply to your body; thus, providing excellent traction.
Whether it is sleeping, having sex, or merely sitting on the mattress, having a silent bed is vital for your peace of mind. Innerspring and hybrid mattresses have a habit of making noise, especially when the coils become outdated. This is not the case with memory foam mattresses. These mattresses don’t have coils in their structure, which means that they are virtually silent. So, both Bear and Casper will be suitable for sleeping on. They are almost silent, unlike innerspring and hybrid mattresses.
Aside from memory foam, latex mattresses are also silent and have excellent motion isolation. If your partner loves to move in bed, you won’t be distracted by their movements. People won’t know if you’re having a pleasant time with your partner as they are very silent.
Almost all bed-in-a-box mattresses come with an off-gassing odor. So, if you’re irritated by the smell produced, you may find the bed uncomfortable to sleep on. If you intend to sleep on the mattress immediately, you should find out how long it takes to dissipate the gasses.
Memory foam mattresses take longer to dissipate gas than innerspring and hybrid mattresses. This is because memory foam contains volatile organic compounds, which have a chemical odor. Innerspring mattresses have coils that allow air to circulate; thus, the gasses disappear quickly.
The Bear and Casper memory foam mattresses will take longer to off-gas when unboxed. It may take at least 48 hours for the odor to disappear completely. If you decide to purchase one of these mattresses, you will have to be patient before you can sleep.
Shipping and delivery
Bear – this mattress is shipped everywhere in the United States, apart from Puerto Rico. Also, you can send it to Canada. You will be charged a shipping fee if you are from Alaska, Hawaii, and Canada.
Besides, Bear provides white glove delivery for orders in the contagious US. The services are not free, as you will be charged a small fee. Also, there is an additional fee for delivery with personnel and old mattress removal.
Casper – similar to Bear, this mattress ships to all US states. However, they charge shipment to Hawaii, Alaska, and Canada. Also, white-glove delivery is offered at a fee, apart from Casper Wave and Casper Wave Hybrid, which are free.
Additionally, white glove delivery and old mattress removal are offered at a fee for Casper, Casper Hybrid, and Casper Essential. The Casper Wave and Casper Wave Hybrid are free.
A good mattress brand should offer a free trial so that customers can buy a mattress that they are comfortable with. The good news is that both Bear and Casper provide free trial periods. This is regardless of them being online mattresses with no showroom to try them out.
Bear – this brand offers a 100 nights free trial period. However, it has a mandatory 30 day break-in period. After 30 days, you can return the mattress and get a full refund without charging you mattress removal and transportation costs.
Casper – just like Bear, Casper also offers 100 nights free trial period. Unlike Bear, you don’t have to break into the mattress to return it. The manufacturer offers a full refund at any time. Also, the buyer will get back their shipping fees. The mattress is then recycled or donated to charity.
Apart from looking at the features that every brand comes with, it is essential to compare prices to get value for money. As we’ve seen throughout this comparison, these two brands share a lot of features with a few differences. Price is one of those differences. Therefore, if you don’t have enough money to splash on a quality memory foam mattress, Bear mattress is the best choice. But if you’re willing to spend a little more to get a more durable and reliable bed, you will love the Casper mattress.
These two brands offer a variety of mattress sizes to choose from, including the twin, twin XL, Full, Queen, King, and California King. The bigger the mattress size, the more expensive it gets.
Despite being online brands, Bear and Casper care about their customers a great deal. They offer a 100 night free trial period, as discussed earlier, but they also provide a warranty. Bear delivers a 10-year limited warranty, while Casper provides a 10-year non-prorated warranty. Both warranties become valid from the date of purchase. They cover defects in material and workmanship. So, in case of damage, you will get a replacement or have the mattress repaired.
Who should buy Bear Mattress?
- If you’re lightweight or average weight, then you will love the Bear Mattress. With a firmness rating of 5.5 with memory foam, this mattress will conform to your body well without exerting a lot of pressure.
- If you’re an athlete or physically active, you will feel comfortable using this mattress. Featuring a client fabric cover, this material will help you to recover from your training or physical exercise.
- If you love a classic memory feel, this is the mattress for you. This mattress has memory foam as its top layer, which gives it an excellent memory feel.
- If you want a closely conforming and supportive mattress, you will like this mattress. This mattress follows the contours of your body without sagging a lot.
- If you sleep with your partner or dog on the same bed, this is a perfect mattress for you. Bear Mattress is good at isolating motion.
- If you don’t want to splash money but still want a quality memory foam mattress, Bear is an ideal option. It is sold at a slightly below-average price.
Who shouldn’t buy Bear Mattresses?
- If you’re looking for a bouncy and firm mattress, this is not the mattress for you. Bear is made out of foam, which means that it lacks coils in its structure.
- If you want strong edge support, look elsewhere. Bear mattress tends to sink when you sit or sleep at the edge of the mattress.
- If you desire a deeply conforming mattress, you should look away. Bear Mattress doesn’t conform to your body intensely, as it is not made of true memory foam. It is a mixture of different forms.
Who should buy Casper Mattress?
- If you’re a couple, who want a sound and quiet night’s sleep. This mattress is virtually silent as it is made up of memory foam without coils. Also, it doesn’t transfer motion, which means that you will not distract your partner when you go to bed late at night.
- If you love a mattress that hugs your body but at the same time supports you, the Bear mattress is the best choice. It will conform to your body and relieve pressure in sensitive parts of your body.
- If you sleep hot on memory foam but still want a memory foam that sleeps cool. This mattress has comfort foams that absorb some body heat, but they sleep cooler than many memory foam mattresses.
- If you’re a lightweight or heavyweight sleeper, you will love this mattress. It has a medium-firm rating, which means that it will conform to your body closely while offering support.
- If you’re a combination sleeper, you will love this mattress. The medium firmness allows you to change from one position to another without a lot of problems.
Who shouldn’t buy Casper Mattresses?
- If you weigh more than 230 pounds, this is not the mattress for you. You will find this mattress uncomfortable as it will hug you a lot and even make you sleep hot.
- If you love the bouncy feel of innerspring mattresses, look away. Casper mattress doesn’t come with coils, and that’s why it is not bouncy.
- If you want strong edge support that you can sit or sleep on, this mattress has weak edge support. It won’t support your weight as it will sink and cause indentation.
Pros of Bear Mattress
- Ideal for athletes and physically active people
- Conforms well to your body to provide pressure relief
- Medium-firmness is suitable for lightweight, side, and back sleepers
- Excellent motion isolation
- Offer support and comfort
- 100-nights free trial period
- 10-year warranty
Cons of Bear Mattresses
- It has poor edge support
- Not suitable for heavy sleepers
Pros of Casper Mattress
- Conforms to your body to relieve pressure
- Outstanding motion isolation
- Nice for couples as it doesn’t make noise
- Offers a balanced foam feel
- Accommodates all kinds of sleepers
- 100 nights free trial period
- 10-year warranty
Cons of Casper Mattresses
- Uncomfortable for heavyweight sleepers
- Not very responsive
Which is better? Bear Mattress or Casper Mattress?
Bear and Casper mattresses are two reliable and trustworthy brands. The companies are still new as they have been in the industry for a few years. Regardless, their beds have shown to be some of the best. The mattress collections that we’ve discussed in this review are some of the best bed-in-a-box mattresses. They have the same firmness rating but vary in terms of comfort. This is because of the inches and positioning of memory foam.
The Bear mattress is best suited for lightweight and average weight sleepers that want a conforming mattress that relieves pressure and deeply snugs the body. On the other hand, the Casper Original mattress is slightly firmer and ideal for all kinds of sleepers. If you want a somewhat cheaper bed, you will love the Bear mattress over the Original Casper mattress.
Regardless of the mattress you choose, both offer comfort, relieve pressure, isolate motion, and are durable. Their main weakness is weak edge support. So, go with a brand that you feel meets your needs and demands.
I hope this Bear Mattress VS Casper comparison article has given a clear idea about these mattress brands.
Question: Do Casper and Bear have Brick-and-Mortar stores?
Answer: Casper – Yes, Casper operates brick-and-mortar stores around the country. Their stores are located in areas such as Austin, TX, Atlanta, GA, San Francisco, CA, West Palm Beach, FL, Chicago, IL, New York, NY, and much more.
Bear – Yes, it does. However, it only has one store, which is located in Hoboken, New Jersey.
Still, have questions after reading this Bear Mattress VS Casper mattress article? Comment below.